The National Examination Council (NECO) has disclosed that the 233,000 candidates, who missed the Senior Certificate Examination as a result of the #EndSARS protests would be considered in the February 2021 examination, even as the examination body has released the result of the 2020 examination.
NECO’s Registrar, Professor Godswill Obioma, stated this yesterday while speaking at the NECO headquarters in Minna, Niger State.
Obioma gave the names of states affected by the protest to include Abia, Enugu, Edo, River, Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, Lagos, Oyo, Kano, Ogun and the FCT.
He also said the affected subjects were Chemistry practical, Economics, Technological Drawing, Food and Nutrition, and Further Mathematics.
The registrar said four schools in Adamawa State, two in Kaduna State, two in Kastina State, two in Niger State, one in Taraba State and one in the FCT were de-recognised by the Council for engaging in mass cheating.
He said the Council also blacklisted 24 supervisors who engaged in aiding and abetting, connivance with non-candidates to write answers on chalkboards and poor supervision.
The Registrar expressed gratitude that the Council was able to conduct the examination despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and the EndSARS protests in 2020.
He said, “You will recall that the first case of COVDI-19 in Nigeria was reported in February 2020, in Ogun State and since then a new norm has been introduced in the scheme of things.”
“This new norm has altered not only our way of life but also affected our schedule of activities. For instance, our 2020 SSCE (I) would have been written from May 28, 2020 to July 10, 2020.
“However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Examination was rescheduled to hold from Monday, October 5, 2020 to Wednesday, November 18, 2020. It is rather unfortunate to note that barely two weeks into the commencement of the examinations, the EndSARS protests erupted across some states in the country leading to the imposition of curfew and closure of schools by some State Governments in order to safeguard lives and property, thus truncating the process of examinations once more.
For the security of personnel and materials, the examinations were suspended nationwide pending when normalcy returned. On return of normalcy, the examinations that were initially scheduled to end on Wednesday, November 18, 2020 continued till November 28, 2020.”
For the candidates who missed some papers due to the EndSARS protests in their state, Obioma said the Council has made arrangements for them to sit for the papers.
He said, “we wish to inform the general public that the Council has made special arrangements for those candidates who missed some papers due to the EndSARS protests in those states. The affected candidates will now sit for those papers missed during the forthcoming 2020 SSCE (External) scheduled from Monday, February 1, 2021 to Wednesday, March 3, 2021.
“These special arrangements will be at no extra cost to these candidates. Upon the release of the 2020 SSCE Internal results, those of the affected candidates will be pending for the papers missed and would be subsequently updated after the supplementary examination results are released.”
The Registrar said the number of candidates that registered for the examination is 1,221,447; 665,830 males and 555,617 females.
He said only 1,209,992 candidates turned up to sit for the examination.
He said the number of candidates who made five Credits and above including English Language and Mathematics is 894,101 representing 73.89 per cent. When compared to 2019 June/July SSCE figures of 829,787, the result shows an increase of 2.3 per cent.